Saturday, February 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Yogurt Pops

Stonyfield should give me a patent for this.

As the owner of two very smart and active puppies (well, one is very smart, the other is just freaking cute), it has become a challenge of wits to come up with treats that can occupy their minds and jaws for at least 30 minutes so we can have some semblance of peace and quiet in the house.  I've tried just about every store bought thing you can think of, most of which lasts about 5 minutes.

This little godsend of an idea came over summer when frozen dog treats are everywhere.  My local pet store sells them for $5.99 a cup!!  Freaking ridiculous, so I decided to make them myself.  My dogs LOVE these yogurt pops, and I love them because the puppies are so quiet as they intensely try to get the frozen yumminess out of the cup.

I use Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain yogurt cups ($1 at Giant Eagle) because I'm flavoring the yogurt and I don't think my dogs need the extra sugar in the flavored varieties, but it's all based on preference.  You can use any yogurt cup of your choosing, just make sure it's safe for your dog.  Feel free to try different flavor combinations, this is my dog's favorite.

WARNING:  Please supervise your animal when giving them this treat.  Do not let them eat the plastic yogurt cup, that would be bad.

Peanut Butter Yogurt Pops

1 Yogurt Cup (I use Stonyfield Organic Low Fat Plain yogurt)
1 Dollop of Peanut Butter (I can usually fit about a rounded teaspoon)
1 Squirt of Honey (about a teaspoon)
A couple shakes of cinnamon
1 6 inch Bully Stick (optional, I get a variety pack online that always has these short guys that I don't know what to do with)

Open the yogurt cup and discard the lid.  Put the peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon on the surface of the yogurt.


Mix well with a spoon.  I plunge a spoon in and kind of wiggle it on the bottom, so that all the stuff doesn't come spilling out of the cup.  Insert bully stick in the middle (if using).  Put the yogurt pop in the freezer for 4-6 hours, or until it's frozen solid.  Give to your puppy and let them enjoy, but always under supervision.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment